Sunday, May 17, 2009

Coming 'Home'

There's something about coming back to the place you grew up. Places and people are familiar; memories from days gone by jump back to you.
Remember when we used to...

At the same time though, coming back after being gone for the school year at college makes me realize that things change. I've changed. This is my 3rd year to come back to Glenwood Springs for the summer. The first time I came back, people from church would say, "Welcome home!" My parents had moved to CO Springs earlier that year, but to me, Glenwood was still home. But this year, the greeting has been mostly, "Welcome back!" Someone at church today even corrected herself: "Welcome home! Well, i guess it's not home, but welcome back!" Not really sure when it happened, but apparently sometime during the past 3 years of being in college, Glenwood went from being home to the place I come back to for the summer. An interesting thing about that is it doesn't bother me.
I guess at this point in my life, 'home' is a very fluid concept. I move or travel every few months, either to school in AR or back to CO Springs for breaks or Glenwood for the summers. I'm not really 'established' anywhere yet. But one thing I realize is that in each of these three places that I spend portions of the year, Searcy, CO Springs, and Glenwood, I have great memories and people that I love and care about and who love me. That's enough to qualify as home for me right now.
So for the next two and half months, Glenwood is 'home'. A summer of working at Aspen Glen golf club...free golf...hanging out with friends and people from church...not a bad thing to come back to. Welcome home indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Emily! You have a blog! I'm SOOO excited! I don't know why I expected anything less from someone who is an English major, haha! Can't wait to keep up with your happenings:) Tell Sarah to invite me to hers:)

    ReplyDelete